Luxury accommodation surrounding
the historic city of Bath

Ebenezer Chapel


Ebenezer Chapel is a converted Grade II listed Chapel providing three separate but inter-connecting (if required) luxury self catered accommodation. The Chapel can either be let as a whole, providing accommodation for 10 people or let individually as three separate units. Each with lounge and fully fitted kitchens, dishwashers, washer / dryers etc.


DOWNLOAD FLOOR PLAN

Ebenezer Chapel consists of:

Click on accommodation to enter



the chapel
The Chapel

Sleeps 4
Two bedrooms: one double with en suite and one twim room plus family bathroom. read more >>

the apartment
The Apartment

Sleeps 2
One double bedroom or two single beds and bathroom. read more >>

the school house
The School House

Sleeps 4-5
Two bedrooms, one double with en suite and one twin plus family bathroom. read more >>

The history of Ebenezer Chapel


The original trustees of Ebenezer Chapel, known as the Bridgeyate Ebenezer, were all local men, several gaining employment from the brassworks at Warmley Tower. Some of their names and the name of the original owner of the land are synonymous with Bridgeyate; thus Trubody, Peacock. Jarrett, Ashley, Wilmot, Parket and Johnson. It is reputed that John Wesley and his fellow Methodists from Kingswood School would come out to Bridgeyate and preach on the Common. Local traditions have it that he tethered his horse to the old Chestnut tree. Prior to the building of the Chapel worship took place in nearby houses. John Trubody, a name much associated with Bridgeyate, announced on 10th February 1810 that he would let the congregation have a small plot of land above the Common to build their Chapel. So ‘The Chapel on the Common”, the oldest in the Kingswood circuit, was founded.

Bridgeyate Methodist Church, is believed to be one of the oldest Methodist churches in the Bristol area. The little grey stone building standing at the top of Bridgeyate Common behind an ancient chestnut tree often goes unnoticed by the speeding traveller these days but when the first foundation stones were laid the pace of life was very different.

In February 1960, the Chapel was packed to capacity for the four weekend celebration meetings which proved to be a great success. The final anniversary service was performed by the Reverend David Catterson who came to Bridgeyate in 1958. Long before the Chapel was built, religious meetings were held in private houses. Local folk-lore has it that the Rev. John Wesley may have preached nearby, on the common.

Watch the video